Frequently Asked Questions
Think half cafe / half cat sanctuary. Kitty Cantina is a safe-haven for homeless cats to live in luxury while they wait for someone to fall in love and adopt them.
All of the cats living with us come from our partner shelter SpokAnimal. This helps free up space and resources at the shelter so they can focus their efforts on more at-risk animals. They are all in need of homes and are adoptable!
Yes! Kitty Cantina staff members are not allowed to cross back and forth between the café and the Kitty Lounge. Our guests are, though! *EDIT* Due to COVID food/drink is temporarily not allowed in the Kitty Lounge as masks are required.
No, sorry. We don’t do the whole window shopping thing. Check out our adoption process below for more details.
Yes, and for good reason we think. Entering the Kitty Lounge is optional. The cover charge gives guests 50 minutes of snuggle time and comes with a drink credit. This ensures their stay with us is comfortable and nourishing by helping cover costs of staffing and supplies. Kitty Cantina is a self-sufficient small business with a passion for helping animals – we do not receive grants, funding or volunteer work.
Reservations are highly encouraged. We don’t want to overwhelm the cats so the Kitty Lounge has limited hours and only 6 guests may enter at a time. You can check availability and reserve your date with the cats here on our website. Walk-ins are allowed as long as the room isn’t already full.
We follow the same adoption process as SpokAnimal – plus we’ve added a few screening protocols of our own.
1. Meet the cats – We require all potential adopters to visit the cats for 50 minutes. Reservations are highly encouraged and can be made here on our website.
2. Fall in love and “sleep on it” – If you fall in love with a kitty, let the cat-caretaker know and discuss the waiting period. We do this to maximize the chances of a successful long-term adoption. The cat will be off limits to other adopters during this short period.
3. Set a date – You will be asked to reach out the next day to confirm your intentions. If you are still in love, then we will work with you to set an adoption date! We need to set it on a day that one of our certified adopters are available either before or after the Kitty Lounge hours.
4. Fill out paperwork – SpokAnimal provides us with an adoption packet for each cat. After completing the paperwork, we will collect the shelter adoption fee. This goes entirely to the shelter and helps cover the costs of the care that has been provided to the kitties up until that point.
5. Bring home your new family member – Finally you will be able to scoop up your little one! If you want to be on our adoption wall we will take a picture of you and your kitty in the Kitty Lounge then you’re on your way!
SpokAnimal sets their adoption rates based on the age of the cat. 100% of the fee goes directly to the shelter.
SpokAnimal adoption fees
Kittens up to 6 months: $130
Cats 6 months to 1 year: $85
Adult cats: $65
Senior cats (7 and older): $45
Super seniors (10 and older): $25
spay or neuter
first FVRCP vaccination
rabies vaccination (excludes some kittens)
wellness check at participating vet clinics
No way! We do have beer, wine, and hard cider available for 21+ but Kitty Cantina is an all-ages cat café!
Cats can be unpredictable so babies must be held the entire duration of your visit. Children 13 and under must be accompanied by an adult, with a maximum of 2 children per adult. For the safety of your kiddos and our cats, there are strict rules for children to follow. We want to remind you that this is not a “petting-zoo.” This is a means of socializing shelter cats and finding them homes. Children who are not respecting these rules will be asked to leave the Kitty Lounge.
-Children must move slowly. No running, jumping or climbing.
-Children may NOT pick up the kitties. Respectful playing is ok.
-Do not stand on the benches or move the pillows around.
-Respect the space of other guests. Don’t “hog” the kitties.
-Do not allow your children to pick up or throw items.
-Voices need to be kept down so the cats don’t get frightened.
While we do allow the Kitty Lounge to be reserved for private events, we do not offer a birthday package and discourage a traditional party setting around the kitties.
Whatever they want! We don’t use cages or restrict their activity!
The Kitty Lounge is not always open when the cafe is. The kitties need a break from hoomanz, and we also need time to clean their living space. Reservations are highly encouraged to guarantee your time with the cats. Only 6 guests may go in the Kitty Lounge at a time.
|Monday||8:00 am – 6:00 pm||1:00 pm – 6:00 pm|
|Tuesday||8:00 am – 6:00 pm||12:00 pm – 4:00 pm 20-Minute Speed Dates|
|Wednesday||8:00 am – 6:00 pm||12:00 pm – 4:00 pm 20-Minute Speed Dates|
|Thursday||8:00 am – 6:00 pm||1:00 pm – 6:00 pm|
|Friday||8:00 am – 8:00 pm||1:00 pm – 8:00 pm|
|Saturday||8:00 am – 8:00 pm||1:00 pm – 8:00 pm|
|Sunday||8:00 am – 6:00 pm||1:00 pm – 6:00 pm|