FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Think half cafe / half cat sanctuary. Kitty Cantina is a safe-haven for homeless cats to live in luxury while they wait for someone to fall in love and adopt them.
All of the cats living with us come from our partner shelter SpokAnimal. This helps free up space and resources at the shelter so they can focus their efforts on more at-risk animals. They are all in need of homes and are adoptable!
We do not allow food in with the kitties. Adults may bring their drinks in, but please keep a close eye on them! The cats will likely try to tip them over.
No, sorry. We don’t do the whole window shopping thing. Check out our adoption process below for more details.
Yes, and for good reason we think. Entering the Kitty Lounge is optional. The cover charge gives guests 50 minutes of snuggle time and comes with a café credit. This ensures the kitties’ stay with us is comfortable and nourishing by helping cover costs of staffing and supplies. Kitty Cantina is a self-sufficient small business with a passion for helping animals – we do not receive grants, funding or volunteer work.
Reservations to see the cats are currently required. We don’t want to overwhelm the cats so the Kitty Lounge has limited capacity and hours. You can check availability and reserve your date with the cats here on our website.
We follow the same adoption process as SpokAnimal – plus we’ve added a few screening protocols of our own.
1. Meet the cats – We require all potential adopters to schedule a visit in the Kitty Lounge so they can meet the cats before committing to an adoption. We don’t do the whole “window shopping” thing. Reservations can be made here on our website.
2. Fall in love and “sleep on it” – If you fall in love with a kitty, let the cat-caretaker know and discuss the waiting period. We do this to maximize the chances of a successful long-term adoption. The cat will be off limits to other adopters during this short period.
3. Set a date – You will be asked to reach out the next day to confirm your intentions. If you are still in love, then we will work with you to set an adoption date! We need to set it on a day that one of our certified adopters are available either before or after the Kitty Lounge hours.
4. Fill out paperwork – SpokAnimal provides us with an adoption packet for each cat. After completing the paperwork, a shelter adoption fee is collected.
5. Bring home your new family member – Finally you will be able to scoop up your furry friend! If you have your own carrier, great! If not, no biggie, we have some extras available for the occasion.
SpokAnimal sets their adoption rates based on the age of the cat.
spay or neuter
first FVRCP vaccination
rabies vaccination (excludes some kittens)
Kittens up to 6 months: $150
Cats 6 months to 11 months: $100
Adult cats 1 to 6 years: $85
Senior cats 7 to 9 years: $45
Super seniors (10 and older): $25
No way! We do have beer, wine, and hard cider available for 21+ but Kitty Cantina is an all-ages cat café!
Children 7 and under are not allowed in the Kitty Lounge for safety reasons. Children 8-15 are welcome to visit during a Group Kitty Date, but kiddos are not allowed during Snuggle Sessions.
Youngsters must be accompanied by an adult, with a maximum of 2 children per adult. For the safety of your kiddos and our cats, there are strict rules for children to follow. We want to remind you that this is not a “petting-zoo.” This is a means of socializing shelter cats and finding them homes. Children who are not respecting these rules will be asked to leave the Kitty Lounge.
-Children must move slowly. No running, jumping or climbing.
-Children may NOT pick up the kitties. Respectful playing is ok.
-Do not stand on the benches or move the pillows around.
-Do not allow your children to pick up or throw items.
-Voices need to be kept down so the cats don’t get frightened.
While we do allow the Kitty Lounge to be reserved for private events, we do not offer a birthday package and discourage a traditional party setting around the kitties. We want to avoid overstimulation, access to treats, and consumption of wrapping materials. Birthday festivities are more appropriate in the café instead of in the Kitty Lounge.
Whatever they want! We don’t use cages or restrict their activity!
No – The Kitty Lounge is not always open when the café is. You can always spy on the cats from inside the café, but to enter the Kitty Lounge and mingle with the cats you will need to make a reservation. The kitties need a break from hoomanz, and we also need time to clean their living space and do wellness checks. Please refer to the booking page for more details on this process.
|Café + Drive-Thru||Kitty Lounge|
|Monday||7:00 am – 5:00 pm||Refer to booking page|
|Tuesday||7:00 am – 5:00 pm||Refer to booking page|
|Wednesday||7:00 am – 5:00 pm||Refer to booking page|
|Thursday||7:00 am – 5:00 pm||Refer to booking page|
|Friday||7:00 am – 5:00 pm||Refer to booking page|
|Saturday||8:00 am – 5:00 pm||Refer to booking page|
|Sunday||8:00 am – 5:00 pm||Refer to booking page|